Another accident hits Hanjin

Published by rudy Date posted on February 4, 2009

SUBIC BAY FREEPORT—Twenty-six workers of the South Korean-owned shipbuilder Hanjin survived after their bus, which was carrying 60 passengers, plunged into a ravine a few meters from the shipyard, police said.

Five of the injured were in critical condition, but the rest were able to proceed to work despite the accident, they said.

All 26 are residents of Subic town in Zambales, where they were picked up by the shuttle bus to report for work at the shipyard, one of the biggest in the world and site of the former US naval base, police said.

The bus driver survived but fled, they said.

Subic Police Chief Nelson de la Cruz said the cause of the accident was still being investigated, and that officials were looking for the driver.

The incident was just the latest involving workers at the shipyard.

At least 19 workers have been killed in accidents while working at the shipyard since it opened three years ago.

All of the dead were Filipinos except for a South Korean foreman, who was fatally run over by a forklift last month.

The Senate is expected to open an investigation into the spate of accidents. AFP with Cecille Garcia

June – Pride Month

“We are proud of everyone!”

 

Continuing
Solidarity with CTU Myanmar,
trade unions around the world,
for democracy in Myanmar,
with the daily protests of
people in Myanmar against
the military coup and
continuing oppression.

 

Accept National Unity Government
(NUG) of Myanmar.
Reject Military!

#WearMask #WashHands
#Distancing
#TakePicturesVideos

Time to support & empower survivors.
Time to spark a global conversation.
Time for #GenerationEquality to #orangetheworld!
Trade Union Solidarity Campaigns
Get Email from NTUC
Article Categories