Broadcaster shot, wounded in Cagayan de Oro

Published by rudy Date posted on March 8, 2009

BUTUAN CITY, Philippines – Two still unidentified gunmen shot dxCC Radio Mindanao Network broadcaster Nilo Labares late Thursday night, the latest in a series of media figures targeted, according to police.

Labares, who was on a motorcycle along Tomas Saco Street in Cagayan de Oro City when he was attacked, suffered two gunshot wounds in his chest and is still in critical condition at the Maria Reyna Medical Hospital in Cagayan de Oro.

Police are still investigating the incident.

Labares, 47, had received a threat on his cell phone two weeks ago warning him not to continue his radio station’s campaign against illegal gambling in the area, dxCC’s news chief Rey Maraunay said.

Labares, who has worked for the station for more than 10 years, is also editor-in-chief of a local weekly paper, Sports and News.

Cagayan de Oro Vice Mayor Emano Labares said the broadcaster could have been targeted because of his criticism of illegal gambling.

The vice mayor said he ordered police in the city to take steps to deter other possible attacks on journalists by adopting a “shoot-to-kill” policy against assailants.

“My policy is for them to shoot the suspects if they resist. No more allowing them to flee. Besides, this may start a killing spree against the media,” he said.

Press Secretary Cerge Remonde said President Arroyo had instructed the police “to leave no stone unturned to ensure justice is served and identify the killers.”

In line with this, the Philippine National Police (PNP) Task Force Usig ordered the full mobilization of its national and local investigators to look into the assassination attempt.

Police Director Raul Bacalzo, chief of the PNP’s Directorate for Investigation and Detective Management (DIDM) and Task Force Usig Commander, ordered Northern Mindanao Police Regional Director Chief Superintendent Danilo Empedrad to closely coordinate their efforts with the Department of Justice’s (DOJ) Task Force 211.

Task Force 211 agents from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) are also conducting a parallel probe on the failed attempt on Labares.

Bacalzo said combined police agents from the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG), the Regional Intelligence Unit (RIU) as well as the city police office are now tracking the suspects.

“The suspects were masked and their motorcycles had no license plates,” Bacalzo said, adding that probers are still trying to establish the motive behind the incident. – Ben Serrano  with Jaime Laude, AP

April 2025

World Day for Safety and Health at Work
“Safety and health at work every day!”

Invoke Article 33 of the ILO constitution
against the military junta in Myanmar to carry out the 2021 ILO Commission of Inquiry recommendations against serious violations of Forced Labour and Freedom of Association protocols.
Accept National Unity Government
(NUG) of Myanmar.
Reject Military!
#WearMask #WashHands #Distancing #TakePicturesVideos

Time to support & empower survivors. Time to spark a global conversation. Time for #GenerationEquality to #orangetheworld!

Monthly Observances:

March – Women’s Role in History Month
April – Month of Planet Earth

Weekly Observances:
Last Week of March: Protection and Gender Fair Treatment of the Girl Child Week
Last Week of April – World Immunization Week

Daily Observances:
Mar 25 – International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transallantic Slave Trade
Mar 27– Earth Hour
Apr 21 – Civil Service Day
Apr 22 – World Earth Day
Apr 28 – World Day for Safety and Health at Work

Trade Union Solidarity Campaigns

No to Trafficking

Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!

Categories