UNHRC says RP killings drop 70%; Palace blames NPA for atrocities

Published by rudy Date posted on June 5, 2009

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine government blamed the New People’s Army (NPA) for the number of unexplained killings in the country as it highlighted a report to the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) that such killings “have fallen dramatically by 70 percent.”

The government, through its Permanent Mission to the United Nations in Geneva, noted UN Special Rapporteur Philip Alston’s follow-up report to the UNHRC that unexplained killings dropped in the Philippines.

The mission submitted to the UNHRC a detailed written response to Alston’s follow-up report prepared by the Philippine Human Rights Committee (PHRC).

During the interactive dialogue in the council, the Philippine delegation shared news reports validating that the NPA was behind a number of unexplained killings in the Philippines.

The Philippine delegation stated that such proof was “indicative of the consistent pattern of deception used by rebel groups where the armed wing conducts extrajudicial killings, forced disappearances and other violations of humanitarian law, while the political arm puts the blame on the government.”

Aside from the follow-up report on the Philippines, Alston presented a number of reports to the 11th session of the UNHRC, including those on his visits to other countries.

In his follow-up report, Alston said the PHRC has been reinvigorated and a major and “highly credible” investigation of the alleged death squads in Davao has been opened.

NPA atrocities cited

Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita noted Alston’s report acknowledging “the progress in the Philippine government’s and the Arroyo administration’s promotion and protection of human rights in the country.”

Alston made his report before the UNHRC in Geneva, Switzerland last Wednesday.

Ermita cited data from various sources, which indicated that from January 2008 up to May 2009, there were 235 cases of NPA atrocities, broken down into 171 cases in 2008 and 64 in the first quarter of 2009.

There were also 120 cases of murder and liquidation of suspected government informers, non-payers of so-called revolutionary taxes, and civilian sympathizers.

The report indicated that there were 64 arson incidents involving buses, trucks, bulldozers and other construction equipment, and cellular phone sites; 21 cases of forced disarmament of armed personnel; 18 cases of extortion and harassment of small businessmen and professionals; and 12 cases of abduction of military and police personnel, and civilian non-sympathizers. – Pia Lee-Brago, Marvin Sy, Philippine Star

April 2025

World Day for Safety and Health at Work
“Safety and health at work every day!”

Invoke Article 33 of the ILO constitution
against the military junta in Myanmar to carry out the 2021 ILO Commission of Inquiry recommendations against serious violations of Forced Labour and Freedom of Association protocols.
Accept National Unity Government
(NUG) of Myanmar.
Reject Military!
#WearMask #WashHands #Distancing #TakePicturesVideos

Time to support & empower survivors. Time to spark a global conversation. Time for #GenerationEquality to #orangetheworld!

Monthly Observances:

March – Women’s Role in History Month
April – Month of Planet Earth

Weekly Observances:
Last Week of March: Protection and Gender Fair Treatment of the Girl Child Week
Last Week of April – World Immunization Week

Daily Observances:
Mar 25 – International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transallantic Slave Trade
Mar 27– Earth Hour
Apr 21 – Civil Service Day
Apr 22 – World Earth Day
Apr 28 – World Day for Safety and Health at Work

Trade Union Solidarity Campaigns

No to Trafficking

Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!

Categories