No rush for additional 2 years in basic education – Abad

Published by rudy Date posted on August 12, 2010

BACOLOD CITY, Philippines – Budget Secretary Florencio Abad yesterday said there is no rush to implement the proposed additional two years in the 10-year basic education curriculum.

“That is something that cannot be immediately implemented, it has to be studied well,” Abad said.

He said the move to implement the proposed 12 years basic education curriculum goes hand in hand with the need “to create the necessary environment to make the increase of two years meaningful.”

“You cannot increase to 12 years and still have serious gaps in classrooms, teachers, or your teachers are not trained well, or in textbooks, and textbook quality,” Abad said. “So these are the things that have to come together. It will not be right away, it will be done in stages. You do this in one year, and you do the next one after next year. It’s a process.”

Abad, who was Education secretary during the Arroyo administration but resigned in 2005 at the height of the “Hello, Garci” controversy, acknowledged the need to add two years to basic education.

“Insofar as the need is concerned, there is certainly a need for us to extend the basic education cycle, because aside from Mongolia we are the only country in the world that still operates within the 10-year basic education cycle. The problem there is we are not in a position to complete all the academic requirements in a period of 10 years so there is a need to do it in 12 years,” he said.

The 12-year basic education cycle is being followed in First World countries.

Malacañang said on Monday that the government would shoulder the expenses for the proposed additional two years to basic education.

Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said the objective is to make high school students ready for employment when they graduate to prevent them from being jobless should they not be able to pursue college.

The Department of Education is also studying the possibility of adding two years to the secondary level.

Education Secretary Armin Luistro said the draft curriculum would be announced on Oct. 5.

The Alliance of Concerned Teachers (ACT) has opposed the extension of the basic education curriculum, saying it would be burdensome to families and to teachers who would shoulder the heavier workload, possibly without salary increase.

ACT secretary-general France Castro said that instead of increasing the number of years in basic education, the government should address the shortfalls in the education system like the decrease in education budget, shortage of supplies and equipment, high dropout rate, and increase in tuition and miscellaneous fees. –Danny Dangcalan (The Philippine Star)

April 2025

World Day for Safety and Health at Work
“Safety and health at work every day!”

Invoke Article 33 of the ILO constitution
against the military junta in Myanmar to carry out the 2021 ILO Commission of Inquiry recommendations against serious violations of Forced Labour and Freedom of Association protocols.
Accept National Unity Government
(NUG) of Myanmar.
Reject Military!
#WearMask #WashHands #Distancing #TakePicturesVideos

Time to support & empower survivors. Time to spark a global conversation. Time for #GenerationEquality to #orangetheworld!

Monthly Observances:

March – Women’s Role in History Month
April – Month of Planet Earth

Weekly Observances:
Last Week of March: Protection and Gender Fair Treatment of the Girl Child Week
Last Week of April – World Immunization Week

Daily Observances:
Mar 25 – International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transallantic Slave Trade
Mar 27– Earth Hour
Apr 21 – Civil Service Day
Apr 22 – World Earth Day
Apr 28 – World Day for Safety and Health at Work

Trade Union Solidarity Campaigns

No to Trafficking

Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!

Categories