Publisher killed in Ecija ambush

Published by rudy Date posted on August 4, 2010

CAMP OLIVAS, Pampanga, Philippines – A local newspaper publisher in Nueva Ecija was killed by unidentified gunmen last Sunday and policemen are still clueless on the motive behind the crime.

Senior Superintendent Ricardo Marquez, Nueva Ecija police provincial director, said Edilberto Cruz, publisher-editor of local paper Salida, was on his way home on his motorcycle with license plate CU-5359 when ambushed.

Cruz, a resident of Barangay Accfa in Cabanatuan City, was shot several times by one of the gunmen.

The victim was rushed to the MV Gallego Cabanatuan City Hospital but died while undergoing treatment.

Marquez said members of the Cabanatuan police are still conducting investigation and are coordinating with media personalities for possible information about the killing.

Police also said that the newspaper of the victim primarily reported development stories in Nueva Ecija, and the latest issue was circulated before the May 2010 elections.

Suspect charged

In a related development, police authorities in Aklan province have filed a murder case against the alleged gunman in the killing of Lezo councilman Fernando Baldomero, the first militant slain under the Aquino administration.

Western Visayas Police director Chief Superintendent Samuel Pagdilao Jr. said the Special Investigation Task Group Baldomero has filed formal murder charges against primary suspect Dindo Lovon Ancero, 35, resident of Malingin Bogo City, Cebu and several John Does before the office of Associate Prosecutor Ronilo Inventado of the Aklan Provincial Prosecutor’s Office.

Baldomero, 61, was shot dead last July 5 in Barangay Estancia, Kalibo, Aklan.

Pagdilao said the task group was already prepared to file charges against the suspects last July 19 when Ancero was finally unmasked as the primary suspect in the killing. However, the widow of the victim asked investigators to give her lawyer ample time to review the testimonies of witnesses.

“The widow has finally agreed to let the murder case against the suspect Ancero be filed at the provincial prosecutors’ office,” Pagdilao said.

Ancero, according to Pagdilao, was positively identified by the 12-year-old son of Baldomero in the police rogue gallery.

The boy was an eyewitness to the murder of his father, who was also the provincial chairman of Bayan Muna party-list group.

Baldomero’s wife also positively identified Ancero, whom she said was the one she saw at the vicinity of their place a day before the murder. -Ric Sapnu (The Philippine Star) with Cecille Suerte Felipe

April 2025

World Day for Safety and Health at Work
“Safety and health at work every day!”

Invoke Article 33 of the ILO constitution
against the military junta in Myanmar to carry out the 2021 ILO Commission of Inquiry recommendations against serious violations of Forced Labour and Freedom of Association protocols.
Accept National Unity Government
(NUG) of Myanmar.
Reject Military!
#WearMask #WashHands #Distancing #TakePicturesVideos

Time to support & empower survivors. Time to spark a global conversation. Time for #GenerationEquality to #orangetheworld!

Monthly Observances:

March – Women’s Role in History Month
April – Month of Planet Earth

Weekly Observances:
Last Week of March: Protection and Gender Fair Treatment of the Girl Child Week
Last Week of April – World Immunization Week

Daily Observances:
Mar 25 – International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transallantic Slave Trade
Mar 27– Earth Hour
Apr 21 – Civil Service Day
Apr 22 – World Earth Day
Apr 28 – World Day for Safety and Health at Work

Trade Union Solidarity Campaigns

No to Trafficking

Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!

Categories