Palace: Not all DOH funds will go to contraceptives

Published by rudy Date posted on November 29, 2010

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang yesterday assured Senate Majority Leader Vicente Sotto III that the entire budget of the Department of Health (DOH) would not be allotted solely for the purchase of contraceptives, but only a portion of it.

“The entire budget, it’s not just for the purchase of contraceptives, it’s really for family planning services. It’s not the whole amount,” lawyer Abigail Valte, deputy presidential spokesperson, told government-run radio dzRB.

Valte made the clarification in light of reports that Sotto has been objecting to the allocation of some P880 million for the purchase of contraceptives alone that will be distributed to the poor.

“The budget of DOH, it’s not forced. It should be for responsible parenthood,” she said.

Sotto earlier threatened to block a portion of the health department’s budget, which, he suspected, is intended for the purchase of condoms and other types of contraceptives next year.

The DOH included the allocation for family planning services and essential drugs in its proposed P32.7-billion budget for 2011 amid efforts to pass the reproductive health bill before the House of Representatives.

During interpellation, Sotto asked Sen. Franklin Drilon – an ally of President Aquino – about the wisdom of spending P880 million on contraceptives, supposedly hidden in phases such as “leveraging services” and “procurement of logistics.”

Sotto said the amount would better be used for other services such as financial aid for farmers and information drives to address the problem of infant and maternal mortality.

“If you want to buy a condom, go buy it yourself,” Sotto said. “Why ask money from the government for it?”

Drilon agreed to look into how the P880 million would be spent during the period of amendments. “How the P880 million will be spent – whether or not it will include contraceptives – is something that is still the subject of debate,” he told reporters.

“This is not the time to convince each other on the validity of each other’s position and we are fully aware of this difference in opinion and maybe it is best that we move on and see what kind of wording we can have in the period of amendments that can satisfy all parties,” he said earlier in the plenary deliberations.

Under questioning by Sotto, Drilon said the distribution of the P880 million would depend on the specific needs of local government units. –Delon Porcalla (The Philippine Star)

April 2025

World Day for Safety and Health at Work
“Safety and health at work every day!”

Invoke Article 33 of the ILO constitution
against the military junta in Myanmar to carry out the 2021 ILO Commission of Inquiry recommendations against serious violations of Forced Labour and Freedom of Association protocols.
Accept National Unity Government
(NUG) of Myanmar.
Reject Military!
#WearMask #WashHands #Distancing #TakePicturesVideos

Time to support & empower survivors. Time to spark a global conversation. Time for #GenerationEquality to #orangetheworld!

Monthly Observances:

March – Women’s Role in History Month
April – Month of Planet Earth

Weekly Observances:
Last Week of March: Protection and Gender Fair Treatment of the Girl Child Week
Last Week of April – World Immunization Week

Daily Observances:
Mar 25 – International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transallantic Slave Trade
Mar 27– Earth Hour
Apr 21 – Civil Service Day
Apr 22 – World Earth Day
Apr 28 – World Day for Safety and Health at Work

Trade Union Solidarity Campaigns

No to Trafficking

Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!

Categories