Business sector urged to ‘give back’ to OFWs from Libya

Published by rudy Date posted on March 3, 2011

MANILA, Philippines – A spokesman of the Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (TUCP) said on Wednesday that President Aquino should seek funds from the private sector for returning overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) from Libya.

Former Ambassador Roy Señeres Sr., spokesman of the TUCP, said that with President Aquino’s high trust rating and “business confidence” in the country, he can convince big businessmen to put up a special fund for OFWs displaced by the conflict in Libya.

“I think the President should appeal to the private sector. They [private sector] should give back to the OFWs,” Señeres said in an interview on ABS-CBN’s Umagang Kay Ganda.

He said that among the potential financiers of the special fund are telecommunications companies, fast-food companies, banks and other businesses that have done well due to OFW remittances.

“It should not only be a one-way traffic. They became multi-billionaires because of the OFWs. Now is the right time to give back,” he said.

The government is in the process of repatriating around 30,000 OFWs from strife-torn Libya.

Reports said that at least 10,000 OFWs have escaped from Libya, and hundreds are returning to the Philippines.

Señeres said the Aquino administration should find a way to put up a special temporary fund for returning OFWs because the government cannot provide them better-paying jobs.

No jobs for Libya OFWs in PH

Labor Undersecretary Danilo Cruz, meanwhile, admitted that OFWs displaced from their jobs in Libya would have to be on “standby” for a while.

The government said some of the employers of OFWs in Libya are planning to relocate them to other projects in other countries.

If OFWs from Libya opt to stay, Cruz said the Philippine economy will admittedly not be able to accommodate them.

“Alam natin lahat na hindi kayang i-absorb ng kasalukuyang ekonomiya kaya ang pangingibang bansa ay option sa ating mga manggagawa,” Cruz said.

Señeres said the Philippines has a 36 million workforce, and at least 4 million are already jobless while 10 million are underemployed.

Cruz said displaced OFWs can avail of the Department of Labor and Employment’s (DOLE) P1-billion livelihood program.

Because of the developments in Libya and other countries facing social turmoil, including Oman, Yemen and Bahrain, the DOLE is planning to launch more livelihood programs for OFWs.

The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) issued a board resolution on Tuesday, allotting P10,000 financial assistance for each returning OFW from Libya. –abs-cbnNEWS.com

April 2025

World Day for Safety and Health at Work
“Safety and health at work every day!”

Invoke Article 33 of the ILO constitution
against the military junta in Myanmar to carry out the 2021 ILO Commission of Inquiry recommendations against serious violations of Forced Labour and Freedom of Association protocols.
Accept National Unity Government
(NUG) of Myanmar.
Reject Military!
#WearMask #WashHands #Distancing #TakePicturesVideos

Time to support & empower survivors. Time to spark a global conversation. Time for #GenerationEquality to #orangetheworld!

Monthly Observances:

March – Women’s Role in History Month
April – Month of Planet Earth

Weekly Observances:
Last Week of March: Protection and Gender Fair Treatment of the Girl Child Week
Last Week of April – World Immunization Week

Daily Observances:
Mar 25 – International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transallantic Slave Trade
Mar 27– Earth Hour
Apr 21 – Civil Service Day
Apr 22 – World Earth Day
Apr 28 – World Day for Safety and Health at Work

Trade Union Solidarity Campaigns

No to Trafficking

Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!

Categories