DepEd offers summer jobs for students

Published by rudy Date posted on March 28, 2011

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Education on Monday said it is opening up a summer jobs program for poor but deserving students.

The Special Program for the Employment of Students is an annual work-appreciation program that encourages young ones to turn their idle time into productive hours and needed income for school-related expenses.

SPES is being implemented pursuant to the amendatory law referred to as Republic Act 9547 entitled “An Act Strengthening and Expanding the Coverage of the Special Program for the Employment of Students, Amending for the Purpose Provisions of Republic Act No. 7323 otherwise knowns as “An Act to Help Poor But Deserving Students Pursue Their Education By Encouraging Their Employment During Summer and/or Christmas Vacations.”

A DepEd official said all the jobs offered under the summer program are clerical and office jobs.

Those who are qualified and selected will be employed for forty (40) days and will be paid minimum daily wage, 60% of which will be shouldered by DepEd and the remaining 40% by the Department of Labor and Employment.
To qualify, interested applicants must be

•at least 15 years old but not more than 25 years old;
•combined annual net income after tax of parents, including the applicants’ income, if any, should not exceed the latest annual regional poverty threshold level for a family of six as determined and provided by the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) which is at PhP143,000.00;
•has an average passing grade during the last school/term attended.
Applicants should possess skills necessary in office setting.
For purposes of the SPES application, those interested must bring with them their resume with picture (preferably 2×2); photocopy of birth certificate; photocopy of certification by the School Registrar as to the applicants’ last enrolment and average passing grade or a copy of the original class cards or Form 138; photocopy of the latest Income Tax Return (ITR) of both parents or, if non-fillers, photocopy of BIR certification that both parents are exempted from payment of tax; and for Out-of-School-Youth (OSY), a photocopy of the certificate of good moral character issued by the authorized barangay official where the OSY resides.
Application is during office hours starting March 28, 2011 to  April 9, 2011 everyday, including Saturdays, at the Office of Executive Director Joey G. Pelaez of the DepEd – Center for Students and Co-Curricular Affairs (CSCA), Ground Floor, Mabini Building, DepEd Complex, Pasig City. Interview will follow immediately after submission of complete requirements.
For inquiries and additional information, log on to or like the DepEd CSCA Facebook Fan Page ( or call telephone number 636-3603. –

Month – Workers’ month

“Hot for workers rights!”


Solidarity with CTU Myanmar,
trade unions around the world,
for democracy in Myanmar,
with the daily protests of
people in Myanmar against
the military coup and
continuing oppression.


Accept National Unity Government
(NUG) of Myanmar.
Reject Military!

#WearMask #WashHands

Time to support & empower survivors.
Time to spark a global conversation.
Time for #GenerationEquality to #orangetheworld!
Trade Union Solidarity Campaigns
Get Email from NTUC
Article Categories