DFA renews call on OFWs to leave Yemen

Published by rudy Date posted on June 22, 2011

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) yesterday renewed its call to all remaining Filipinos in strife-torn Yemen to leave as tension in the Middle East state continues to escalate.

Since the government ordered the evacuation of all Filipinos in Yemen in May 30, only 178 of the estimated 1,200 Filipinos there have returned home.

Manila raised the crisis alert level in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa to alert level 4 on June 6, where mandatory evacuation and repatriation at the expense of Philippine government is in effect. The government has also banned work deployment and all kinds of travel to the country.

Philippine ambassador-designate to Saudi Arabia Ezzedin Tago, who leads a crisis team in Yemen, said Filipinos “should not wait until it is too late for them to leave Yemen.” Manila does not have an embassy in Yemen.

Filipino workers’ refusal to take part in government evacuations in the initial stages of conflict in some troubled Arab states had led to bigger problems in the past. Some of those who stayed behind like in Libya, where civil unrest continues, had a hard time moving to safer grounds when armed fighting have escalated and government rescue teams would encounter extreme difficulty getting through them.

Political uprisings in Yemen have become more violent as the wave of Arab unrests grip the Middle East and North Africa with protesters calling for an end to authoritarian rule and reforms.

Tago said most Filipinos refused to leave, saying their employers have a contingency plan for them if security conditions become worse.

Others, he added, are committed to fulfill their contractual obligation with their employer to get their salaries and benefits in full or are willing to stay as long as they are not in danger.

Nevertheless, Tago said, the Filipinos were advised to call the embassy teams in capital Sanaa and Aden if they feel unsafe in the area they are residing so they can be moved to a safe area.

They were also asked not to venture outside so as not to compromise their security. –Michaela P. del Callar, Daily Tribune

April 2025

World Day for Safety and Health at Work
“Safety and health at work every day!”

Invoke Article 33 of the ILO constitution
against the military junta in Myanmar to carry out the 2021 ILO Commission of Inquiry recommendations against serious violations of Forced Labour and Freedom of Association protocols.
Accept National Unity Government
(NUG) of Myanmar.
Reject Military!
#WearMask #WashHands #Distancing #TakePicturesVideos

Time to support & empower survivors. Time to spark a global conversation. Time for #GenerationEquality to #orangetheworld!

Monthly Observances:

March – Women’s Role in History Month
April – Month of Planet Earth

Weekly Observances:
Last Week of March: Protection and Gender Fair Treatment of the Girl Child Week
Last Week of April – World Immunization Week

Daily Observances:
Mar 25 – International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transallantic Slave Trade
Mar 27– Earth Hour
Apr 21 – Civil Service Day
Apr 22 – World Earth Day
Apr 28 – World Day for Safety and Health at Work

Trade Union Solidarity Campaigns

No to Trafficking

Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!

Categories