Employers of runaway OFWs blacklisted

Published by rudy Date posted on August 19, 2012

Bantay OCW (Ang Boses ng OFW)

Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz has issued an order banning the deployment of domestic workers to employers overseas whose workers have run away due to abuse. If there are reports that an employer is abusive, he or she should not be able to hire Filipino workers again, the labor chief said.

This is a commendable move of the Department of Labor and Employment for Filipino workers who have difficulties fighting for their rights overseas. OFWs often escape from their employers because they cannot endure the maltreatment they experience. Some report that they are starved, not paid their salaries, subjected to verbal and sexual abuse, etc.

But blacklisted employers find ways to get around this ban. If parents are blacklisted, some use the names of their children or their friends to again hire Filipino workers.

OFWs themselves can help solve this problem. They can share information on abusive employers. They should also not be afraid and hesitant to notify Philippine embassy and consulate officials about blacklisted employers who have managed to again hire Filipino workers.

Withdrawal fee?

Ma. Cristina Posada applied with P&R Manpower Services Incorporated as a household service worker in Hong Kong. When the agency asked her for a fee of P10,000, she decided to back out. But according to her, the recruitment agency insisted she fork over P15,000 to reclaim her passport.

After Cristina brought her complaint to Radyo Inquirer, Bantay OCW coordinated with her agency. Under the law, OFWs and applicants who wish to claim their passports from their respective agencies should not be asked for any “withdrawal fee.”

P&R Manpower Services denied it had asked Cristina for a withdrawal fee. The agency also told us to advise Cristina to return to their office to collect her passport. On June 24, 2012, she was able to retrieve her passport without any fee. –Susan K, Philippine Daily Inquirer

Susan Andes, aka Susan K. is on board at Radyo Inquirer 990 dzIQ AM, Monday to Friday 12:30-2:00 p.m. with audio/video live streaming: www.dziq.am. Hotlines: 535-7209/881-9423/0920-968.4700.E-mail: susankbantayocw@yahoo.com/bantayocwfoundation@yahoo.com

April 2025

World Day for Safety and Health at Work
“Safety and health at work every day!”

Invoke Article 33 of the ILO constitution
against the military junta in Myanmar to carry out the 2021 ILO Commission of Inquiry recommendations against serious violations of Forced Labour and Freedom of Association protocols.
Accept National Unity Government
(NUG) of Myanmar.
Reject Military!
#WearMask #WashHands #Distancing #TakePicturesVideos

Time to support & empower survivors. Time to spark a global conversation. Time for #GenerationEquality to #orangetheworld!

Monthly Observances:

March – Women’s Role in History Month
April – Month of Planet Earth

Weekly Observances:
Last Week of March: Protection and Gender Fair Treatment of the Girl Child Week
Last Week of April – World Immunization Week

Daily Observances:
Mar 25 – International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transallantic Slave Trade
Mar 27– Earth Hour
Apr 21 – Civil Service Day
Apr 22 – World Earth Day
Apr 28 – World Day for Safety and Health at Work

Trade Union Solidarity Campaigns

No to Trafficking

Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!

Categories