DOLE stops work at Mindoro hydropower construction site after fatal rockfall

Published by rudy Date posted on May 15, 2015

The Department of Labor and Employment has ordered work at a hydropower construction site in Mindoro Oriental stopped after a rockfall incident that killed two workers and injured five others.

DOLE Regional Office 4-B Regional Director Teodoro Delson and Bureau of Working Conditions Director Catherine Parado said the work stoppage order was issued against Sta. Clara International Corp.

DOLE also noted the company had released assistance to the victims’ families and is taking corrective steps.

Killed in the incident were Eduardo Santos, 47; and Melchor Lus-ok, 27, of Baguio City. Injured were Samuel Gay-ob, Agustin Pacala, Angel Taryachen, Benjamin Camposagrado, and Sagando Fomeg-as.

Camposagrado and Fomeg-as suffered multiple injuries and were hospitalized, while the three others suffered minor bruises.

The DOLE said the rockfall hit the temporary workers’ shelter at the construction site in Barangay Catuiran in Naujan town.

The victims were taking a regular work break at the time.

Citing the safety officer, the DOLE said heavy rain the night before may have loosened the rocks above the inlet tunnel.

“The company failed to do a hazard analysis of the particular area,” Delson said.

Meanwhile, Sta. Clara International Corp. has been issued a Certificate of Compliance on general labor standards, but is implementing corrective action on occupational safety and health.

Among the corrective actions are providing an on-site doctor, the installation of road warning sisgns, and the implementation of the DOLE recommendation against using oxy-acetylene tanks with broken valve handles.

“It has a DOLE-approved Construction Safety and Health Program; skills certificates for equipment operators from the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority; confined work space permit; job hazard analysis; and hot works permit, the report noted.

The company has also released to the victims’ families cash assistance of P50,000, and paid P150,000 for the hospitalization of two workers.

It also shouldered the funeral expenses of the two deceased workers amounting to P190,000.

Delson also said SCIC Senior Vice President Ulysses Bautista and several managers committed to implement a work procedure to safely remove more rocks in the area where the accident occurred.

“Our composite team found the methodology safe and feasible and approved it,” Delson said.

He also directed the company to continue mitigation work in the construction site, including slope protection, rip-rap construction, road improvement, and oxygen level monitoring in the confined spaces. — Joel Locsin/JDS, GMA News

More from: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/488102/news/regions/dole-stops-work-at-mindoro-hydropower-construction-site-after-fatal-rockfall

April 2025

World Day for Safety and Health at Work
“Safety and health at work every day!”

Invoke Article 33 of the ILO constitution
against the military junta in Myanmar to carry out the 2021 ILO Commission of Inquiry recommendations against serious violations of Forced Labour and Freedom of Association protocols.
Accept National Unity Government
(NUG) of Myanmar.
Reject Military!
#WearMask #WashHands #Distancing #TakePicturesVideos

Time to support & empower survivors. Time to spark a global conversation. Time for #GenerationEquality to #orangetheworld!

Monthly Observances:

March – Women’s Role in History Month
April – Month of Planet Earth

Weekly Observances:
Last Week of March: Protection and Gender Fair Treatment of the Girl Child Week
Last Week of April – World Immunization Week

Daily Observances:
Mar 25 – International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transallantic Slave Trade
Mar 27– Earth Hour
Apr 21 – Civil Service Day
Apr 22 – World Earth Day
Apr 28 – World Day for Safety and Health at Work

Trade Union Solidarity Campaigns

No to Trafficking

Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!

Categories