Build, Build, Build rail projects get IATF greenlight to proceed despite lockdown: Tugade

Published by rudy Date posted on April 15, 2020

by ABS-CBN News, 15 Apr 2020

The MRT-7 Quezon Memorial Circle Station under construction. Mark Demayo, ABS-CBN News/File
MANILA – Construction will resume for the government’s flagship railway projects despite lockdowns in the country to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade said on Wednesday.

Tugade said that the government body tasked to implement the enhanced community quarantine agreed to exempt railway projects under the government’s Build, Build, Build program.

“Pinayagan po kami ng IATF na mag-umpisa magtrabaho ng 13 rail projects,” Tugade said in an interview with DZMM Teleradyo.

(We were allowed by the IATF [Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases] to restart work on the 13 rail projects.)

Among the projects that will resume construction are the LRT-1 Cavite extension, LRT-2 East extension, MRT-3 rehabilitation, PNR Clark 1 and Clark 2, the Subic-Clark railway, PNR Calamba-Bicol, the Mindanao railway, and the Mega Manila Subway.

Tugade said the DOTr has resumed replacing the rails of the MRT-3 on Monday.

The transport chief acknowledged though that for now, they can only do “mitigation measures” and will wait for the lifting of the lockdown for construction to resume at full blast.

“‘Pag nawala na ho ‘yung quarantine period, mayroon po kaming catch up plan nang sa ganun maabutan,” Tugade said.

(When the quarantine period ends, we have a catch up plan so that work is not delayed.)

The government will push forward with its flagship infrastructure projects despite disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, he added.

But Tugade also acknowledged that some infrastructure projects will be affected as the government diverts funds to fight COVID-19.

Some airport, sea port and terminal projects may be postponed or delayed, he said.

Infrastructure deemed as flagship projects, however, will continue.

“Ang sinasabi po namin ‘yung mga flagship priority projects, tuloy tuloy, uusad at tatrabahuhin pa rin ho natin.”

(What we’re saying is that the flagship priority projects will continue, will move forward at we will still work on them.)

Tugade said the contractors will also implement physical distancing and hygiene measures for their workforces when construction resumes.

The lockdown in Luzon will remain in effect until at least April 30. It was extended from the original end date of April 12 to effectively curb the spread of the disease that has infected over 5,400 in the country.

April 2025

World Day for Safety and Health at Work
“Safety and health at work every day!”

Invoke Article 33 of the ILO constitution
against the military junta in Myanmar to carry out the 2021 ILO Commission of Inquiry recommendations against serious violations of Forced Labour and Freedom of Association protocols.
Accept National Unity Government
(NUG) of Myanmar.
Reject Military!
#WearMask #WashHands #Distancing #TakePicturesVideos

Time to support & empower survivors. Time to spark a global conversation. Time for #GenerationEquality to #orangetheworld!

Monthly Observances:

March – Women’s Role in History Month
April – Month of Planet Earth

Weekly Observances:
Last Week of March: Protection and Gender Fair Treatment of the Girl Child Week
Last Week of April – World Immunization Week

Daily Observances:
Mar 25 – International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transallantic Slave Trade
Mar 27– Earth Hour
Apr 21 – Civil Service Day
Apr 22 – World Earth Day
Apr 28 – World Day for Safety and Health at Work

Trade Union Solidarity Campaigns

No to Trafficking

Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!

Categories