DBM offers conditional release of judiciary fund; SC says ‘no’

Published by rudy Date posted on September 30, 2011

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang will release P2 billion in judiciary funds transferred to a new item in the budget called the miscellaneous personnel benefits fund (MPBF) once vacant positions in government are filled, Budget Secretary Florencio Abad yesterday said.

However, the Supreme Court (SC) rejected Abad’s offer, saying the fiscal autonomy of the judiciary should not be compromised.

Abad said he already discussed the matter with Court Administrator and SC spokesman Jose Midas Marquez and agreed on the release of the funds.

“The provisions of the Constitution on fiscal autonomy and non-reduction of the budget for the judiciary are plain and simple. They need no interpretation, just simple application,” Marquez told The STAR in reaction to Abad’s offer.

“Savings will always be used for lawful purposes subject to COA’s accounting and auditing rules, and in accordance with the court’s fiscal autonomy. The Constitution cannot be compromised,” Marquez added.

Abad said there are about 67,000 posts in the government that have remained vacant for a long time. He said among the agencies with huge vacancies are the Office of the Ombudsman with 49 percent unfilled posts and the Commission on Audit with 42 percent.

He said many government posts are not filled up due to the lack of qualified people and the low salary offered by the government.

“We like to assert that the values of transparency and accountability and fiscal autonomy should not be mutually exclusive. They co-exist as principles of financial management,” he said.

Abad also gave assurance that the government continues to respect the fiscal autonomy of agencies even if they are implementing reforms in the way funds are released.

On Monday, court employees wore black to oppose the proposed P2-billion cut in the judiciary’s budget for next year.

Sen. Joker Arroyo has warned that a constitutional crisis might ensue if Malacañang continues to pick a fight with the judiciary over the impounding of funds.

Palace officials, however, disputed Arroyo’s claim, saying the government is merely implementing reforms to ensure that funds are used properly. Malacañang also expressed readiness to talk to court employees to address their concerns and to explain the budget process. –-Alexis Romero (The Philippine Star) with Edu Punay

April 2025

World Day for Safety and Health at Work
“Safety and health at work every day!”

Invoke Article 33 of the ILO constitution
against the military junta in Myanmar to carry out the 2021 ILO Commission of Inquiry recommendations against serious violations of Forced Labour and Freedom of Association protocols.
Accept National Unity Government
(NUG) of Myanmar.
Reject Military!
#WearMask #WashHands #Distancing #TakePicturesVideos

Time to support & empower survivors. Time to spark a global conversation. Time for #GenerationEquality to #orangetheworld!

Monthly Observances:

March – Women’s Role in History Month
April – Month of Planet Earth

Weekly Observances:
Last Week of March: Protection and Gender Fair Treatment of the Girl Child Week
Last Week of April – World Immunization Week

Daily Observances:
Mar 25 – International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transallantic Slave Trade
Mar 27– Earth Hour
Apr 21 – Civil Service Day
Apr 22 – World Earth Day
Apr 28 – World Day for Safety and Health at Work

Trade Union Solidarity Campaigns

No to Trafficking

Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!

Categories